The A-HEC of a Summer program is an exciting opportunity for ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade students with at least a 2.0 GPA who are interested in pursuing a healthcare career. These students are given a chance to explore different career opportunities in medicine by volunteering at local hospitals. During the fifteen-day period in June, the students rotate through various hospital departments and job shadow practicing healthcare professionals. They are able to obtain first hand knowledge about a variety of healthcare fields, learn about health issues and patient care, gain CPR certification and practice taking vital signs, attend interactive workshops, and participate in field trips. The program is a state accredited elective course, and students earn ½ unit of high school elective credit upon successful completion of the program. To apply, return the following:
- Completed application by March 1, 2019.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor or principal
- Personal essay explaining why you should be selected to participate and what you hope to gain from this program. (250 words or less TYPED)
- Copy of current transcript
- CLEAR photo id (driver’s license/permit, student id, generic photo)